Wednesday, January 16, 2008

"I Want to be a Noun"

Friday, January 11, 2008

The other day Chase said, "Mom, I want to be a noun when I grow up." Wondering what he really meant but not wanting to embarrass him I asked, "What exactly do you want to do when you're a noun?" To which Jamie quickly recited, "You are a noun, because a noun is a person, place or thing." Ahh, the joy of big sisters.

He went on to explain and demonstrate that he wanted to be one of those people that wears white gloves and pretends to be in a box.
I said, "Oh you mean a mime."
"Yea a mine. I want to be a mine. Do they make much money?"
"I guess it depends how good you are", I replied. He thought for a moment.
"Do mines help poor people?" (A side note: I often can be caught brainwashing the kids by telling them that I believe God will use them someday to help the poor, oppressed and underprivileged because that's what Jesus said is important.) Wanting to encourage this line of thinking I said, "Sure they could perform for kids who have never had the opportunity to see a mime; a mime could even go to a children's hospital and perform for kids who are sick."
"That's it!!", he said all excited. "I'll be a mine for kids in the hospital so they can forget they are sick!"

I love conversations like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment