Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Random Table Talk

Sometimes dinner at our house is like being at a comedy club. For some reason everybody just gets goofy at the dinner table. For instance, tonight we all sat down and I asked Chase to pray. So we all reverently bowed our heads and waited for him to say his prayer of thanksgiving. And we waited, and waited, and waited. Until finally we all looked up and Chase was sitting with hands folded, head bowed, and eyes closed. Sensing our glares, he opened his eyes and exclaimed, "I'm a mime." We all burst out laughing. How do you then go on and say a serious prayer I ask you?

We finally regained our composure, and again we all closed our eyes, bowed our heads, and awaited boy wonder's profound words of thanks. He took a deep breath and began speaking in this southern black preacher-type voice....and I quote, "Dear Lawd, please protect my throat. I ain't never done nothin' to nobody." Again laughter ensued and once the commotion was settled I realized he had just quoted a line from the movie, "Imagine That" with Eddie Murphy. An 11 year old white Eddie Murphy, that's what I'm dealing with here.

After dinner Jodie revealed to me that she happened upon Chase earlier in the kitchen as he was standing all by himself and peering into the refrigerator. She said he was talking to his shoulder.
"What?", I asked with a perplexed look on my face.
"He was talking into his shoulder. You know, like that scene from Pirates of the Caribbean where Jack Sparrow talks to the little Jack Sparrow conscience on his shoulder."
"What was he saying?"
"He was asking himself what he should eat."

It's nuts around here I'm tellin', ya. Nuts. I used to be allergic to nuts, but fortunately I've grown out of it.

1 comment: