Sunday, September 12, 2010

A New Way to Do School

(This post was actually written a week ago, but for some reason beyond my control...well not beyond my control, it was totally my fault...I neglected to post it.)

Last week we officially began our home education program...sounds official doesn't it? We had a head start in science,what with the whole monarch menagerie and all; it really was quite educational. Although I must admit that I was more into the whole thing than the kids were. Don't get me wrong, they enjoyed it. The truth is, I am a lover of all things nature-like and of course, then there's the whole St. Jansis side of me...don't even get me started. Some of you know all about the baby duck rescue of 2009. Anywho, where was I? Oh right, the kids and school.

We eased into the first week by tackling math the first morning and then heading up to Lansing with our home educating sidekicks, the Barclay's. First we visited Lansing Gift and Bible where we looked over some curriculum and used books. Well, I looked it over while the boys educated themselves on the intricacies of sandtable games.

Photobucket

Next we visited the local farmer's market where we sampled the largest corn-on-the-cob ever grown...not really. We went to Hobby Lobby where they had these ridiculously large fake corn-on-the-cob decorations. Seriously, why would someone buy such a thing?
Photobucket

The Hobby Lobby can be dangerous, so watch your back.
Photobucket

Craftiness is her middle name.
Photobucket

No fieldtrip is complete without a stop at Cold Stone Creamery.
Photobucket

Jayme is doing her imitation of a squirrel eating ice cream and Jodie is just putting up with all of us.
Photobucket

Next we went to Preuss Pets. They have some very cool fish and reptiles.
Photobucket

"When life gets ya down, you know what you've gotta do? Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pretty sure this little guy was a bit nervous in a pet shop filled with snakes.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tarantula...not poisonous...who knew? You did? Well, don't be a know-it-all.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Overall it was a good first day of school....very different than what we're used to, but I think we could get used to this.

Somewhere a dog barked....probably ours 'cuz we were gone awhile and she needed to be let out.

No comments:

Post a Comment