Saturday, September 4, 2010

Bean Night

Random title, random thoughts. The title isn't as random as it may seem at first glance. This evening was full of beans; refried beans with our tacos, some sort of card game that had to do with the planting and harvesting of beans, and then me partaking of way too many coffee beans. Here's the story.

Tonight I can't sleep due to unwisely drinking a cup of coffee offered to me at my friend Jill's house while playing a game of Ticket to Ride with some great friends at or near the time of 8:00p.m-ish. I mistakenly believed the brew to be decaf. because who in their right mind would serve regular coffee at such a late hour? I blame KD, Jill's husband who must have some sort of caffeine immunity built up in his system. So here I am at 3:44 a.m. wide awake and wondering if the kids will be kind enough to keep the noise level to a minimum so I can sleep through the morning, which I NEVER do and a behavior which I loathe entirely.

Here's a funny random Chase quote of the day, "Hey, when I shake my whole body I can feel liquid moving around in my stomach." I believe he had just had a large glass of water. I watched as he spent the next minute "air" hula hooping and listening and laughing at the sound a belly full of liquid makes when it's shaken...not stirred.

Another funny and quite random scenario from our motley crew that took place today while riding in the car goes as follows:

It began with Chase asking,"Mom, what is a hypocrite?"
I explained that it referred to someone who says one thing, but does the opposite. To which Jodie quickly added, "Like if you told someone not to spit, but then you spit all the time." (to clarify...Chase is a spitter, he's 10...it's what 10 year old boys do and it drives Jodie bonkers.) I also added some other profound examples of hypocrites hoping to make this a teachable moment.
Then Jodie added, "And by the way, that was really a random question to ask."
"Yea that was random, Chase", I interjected. "What made you ask that question?"
"I was thinking about Harry Potter", he said.
Which made no sense to any of us except Jayme who has read all the books and has a mind like a steel trap. And so she responded,"Oh, so you were thinking about the hippogriff."
"Yea", Chase said.
And we all had a good laugh because we had a very serious 10 minute discourse on the topic of hypocrites, when all the poor kid wanted was an explanation of a creature who's body is half horse and half eagle.

Speaking of random, I worked out today for the third time this week. My friend Jill and I are regularly going to the field house and lifting weights as well as doing the eliptical and the stationary bike. I hope to keep this up so that I might fulfill my dream of having a 6 pack...at this point I think I have a 2 liter.

More randomness; I'm reading a good book about a mother who home schooled her daughter for a year. So far it is fascinating and refreshing and confirming. I have had some anxiety about whether my decision to home school my kids for a year is a good one and this book is helping me to see the light and chill out. I am really looking forward to the experience and believe it will be one that my kids will never forget. (Hopefully in the good sense of the meaning of that phrase.)

Even more randomness: today is the first day that it really felt like fall is on it's way. I love fall, it is my favorite season. The kids and I went to Michael's and they spent their own money on crafts and they all chose something fallish...well, except for Jayme who chose these cool bobble heads made from Puffy Clay which will be a hoot to create and since I just used the word "hoot" I believe I can now say that even her craft is fallish...being that owls hoot and sometimes that's scary which makes me think of Halloween and Halloween is in the fall. There it came full circle.

Well that's about enough randomness for one night/early morning so I will now sign off.

Somewhere a dog barked....

2 comments:

  1. SEE! I thought the coffee was decaf too! The immunity KDB has built up is called going to bed at 12:30 AM and getting up at the "butt crack of dawn"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THIS! Love all things random!

    So, you loathe sleeping through the morning eh? All summer I HOPED to sleep till 10...but usually it was around 9:30....while my kids tip-toed around hoping not to awaken me...a.k.a THE BEAST.

    Your making a GREAT choice homeschooling. Your kids are going to thrive and your all going to become closer in a GREAT way!

    ReplyDelete